The fresh Romaine what you need to know about it!
1. Protein. believe it or not, romaine lettuce is 17% protein with 7.7 grams per head. It is also a complete protein! That means that it has all 8 essential amino acids, 9% RDA of some and up to 26% RDA of others.
2. Calcium. one head of romaine has 206mg of calcium (about 21% RDA). Blend it with calcium rich fruits like papaya and oranges and you’ll get more calcium than a glass of milk!
3. Omega-3s: one head of romaine lettuce contains 44% RDA of Omega-3 essential fats.
4. Vitamin C: one head of romaine contains 167% RDA of vitamin C while an average sized orange contains only 92%.
5. Iron. one head of romaine contains 6mg of iron, which ads a significant source of iron to the diets of vegetarians and vegans.
6. Romaine lettuce is Rich in B-vitamins: Thiamine (B1) – 38% RDA, Riboflavin (B2) – 32% RDA, Niacin (B3) – 12% RDA, Pantothenic Acid (B5) – 18%, Pyridoxine (B6) – 36 %, Folate (B9) – 213%!
7. Water: one head of romaine provides 16% of your daily water needs with about 20 ounces of water per head!
8. Rich Source of vitamin A (as beta-carotene) and K: as with most leafy greens, romaine is super rich in beta-carotene with 1817% RDA per head and has 535% RDA of vitamin K.
9. Low Levels of Oxalic Acid: If you have problems with calcium oxalate kidney stones, romaine lettuce might be a good choice for leafy greens since it is very low in this anti-nutrient.
10. Mineral-Rich: don’t let the lighter color of romaine lettuce fool you. This not-so-dark leafy green is rich in minerals. One head contains copper (33% RDA), magnesium (22% RDA), manganese (42% RDA), phosphorus (27% RDA), potassium (33%), selenium (5% RDA) and zinc (13% RDA).
Categories: Life Cycles